I have been on a mission of healthy eating, even when it comes to sweets. Ever since I cut out gluten, I realized that there are also other areas that I can improve my diet. At first, I was a little sad that my baking would never be the same again, since I can’t have flour, but honestly I think it has been a blessing in many ways. Not only do I feel better, but I am creating wholesome recipes that I love and can share with others to help them eat healthy foods that are satisfying and delicious. I realize that many people who follow my blog and love my recipes, are probably striving to maintain a healthy weight and a lifestyle that has flexibility built into their daily nutrition.
If you are anything like me…I can’t live off of hard-boiled eggs and grilled chicken. I need a little sweetness every day to satisfy my sweet tooth. Today, I made delicious and nutritious cherry energy bites. Not only are these bites the perfect size for packing on-the-go, but they also pack a powerful punch of nutrients. These cherry bites have the perfect balance of sweetness to satisfy your craving while providing your body with sustainable energy.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup of almond meal/flour
- 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 Tbsp flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup baked cherries (halved)
- 1. Remove seeds from cherries, place on a baking sheet/stone and bake at 350 for 10 mins
- 2. Place almond meal and rolled oats in food processor and mix until the oats are finely processed.
- 3. Add peanut butter, honey, coconut oil and mix until a sticky dough forms
- 4. Once the dough is formed add the flax seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut and chocolate chips and fold in with a rubber spatula
- 5. Remove the cherries from the oven and fold into the dough
- 6. With a small cookie scoop roll dough into balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- 7. Place in the freezer or refrigerator for at least 30 mins...or until ready to eat