Lately I have been obsessed with roasted chickpeas! I pretty much make them on a weekly basis. They make the best snack and are super easy to prepare. This snack is perfect when paired with a salad for work-week lunches or as a pre/post-workout snack.
Chickpeas are naturally healthy and satisfying. Some of the health benefits of chickpeas are :
Fiber Advantage and Weight Loss: Like other beans, Chickpeas, are rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. This keeps you feeling fuller longer!
Protein for Vegetarians: Chickpeas are a good source of protein. Combined with a whole grain such as whole-wheat protein, they provide amount of protein comparable to that of meat or dairy foods without the high calories or saturated fats.
Manganese and Iron for Energy Production: Garbanzos are an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese and iron, which is an essential cofactor in a number of enzymes important in energy production and antioxidant defenses.
- 2 cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- 1. Rinse and drain 2 cans of beans
- 2. Dry thoroughly with a paper towel
- 3. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer for 10-15 mins to insure they are dry
- 4. Coat with olive oil
- 5. Sprinkle with salt/pepper/paprika/turmeric/garlic powder and cayenne pepper
- 6 Bake for 25 mins at 350 degree F
- 7. Remove from oven and allow to cool
Although this recipe is absolutely delish…the great thing about this snack is that it can be made with endless amounts of seasoning options. You can make them savory with spices like turmeric, curry, and paprika or even sweet with cinnamon and sugar! Happy Healthy Snacking!